This is my version of Tsimmes–a traditional Ashkenazi Jewish dish of stewed vegetables and dried fruits. It has sweet overtones to evoke a Sweet New Year. “Tsimmes” is Yiddish for “fuss”. This Tsimmes comes together quickly and is not too “fussy”.
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup pineapple orange banana juice (you can substitute regular orange or pineapple juice)
- 1 stick margarine
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced on the bias
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, sliced ½ inch on the bias
- ½ cup dried apricots, diced
- ½ cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In an ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven large enough to hold all the ingredients, combine chicken stock, pineapple orange banana juice, margarine, honey, brown sugar, ginger, salt and pepper and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Add carrots, sweet potatoes, apricots and dried cranberries and bring to a boil. Cover saucepan and place in a preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Serves 12 to 16.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.