Here’s another perennial Passover cookie family favorite—chocolate filled macadamia crisps. If I could only have one cookie for Passover, this would be the one. Wishing all a Happy and Sweet Passover.
Preheat oven to 300. Adjust racks to middle and low positions in oven. Line two uninsulated baking sheets with parchment paper.
1. Put the nuts and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine meal.
2. Beat the margarine in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and creamy for 3 or 4 minutes.
3. Add the nut/sugar mixture and beat until very light for 5 minutes.
4. Add egg whites one tablespoon at a time and beat until batter is shiny and smooth for about 3 minutes.
5. Stir in the cake meal.
6. Put the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2” round tip and pipe 3/4” mounds of batter 2” apart on baking sheets.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until the edges are lightly browned.
8. Cool about 1 minute. Then, using a spatula, carefully transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
9. To make filling: Melt chocolate and margarine in the top of a double boiler. Cool to room temperature.
10. Assembly: Spread the flat side of a crisp with a thin layer of chocolate. Top with the flat side of another crisp.
Makes 40 macadamia crisps or 20 chocolate filled cookie sandwiches
Can keep up to two weeks in an airtight container or freeze up to one month.